Jenny Cartee Pottery

Wheel thrown and handbuilt stoneware pottery by Jenny Cartee

My Photo
Name:
Location: Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, United States

10.25.2005

About the Potter


I had my first experience with clay in 2001 at Gardner-Webb University. I signed up for Intro to Ceramics just to fulfill a requirement for my art minor. I started the minor because I liked to draw but thought I would hate working with clay. At the end if the semester, I still wasn’t making anything especially beautiful, but I was hooked. After graduating in 2002, I took a part time job to support myself and spent the rest of my time in the pottery studio. Later, I worked as an assistant at Rising Sun Pottery, a teaching studio in Lincolnton,N.C. There, I helped maintain the studio, taught classes, and practiced my pottery. After working there four years I was able to set up a studio at my home in Boiling Springs, NC. I have maintained a full-time pottery business ever since. In 2011 we welcomed our daughter, Annie, into the world. My husband, Heath, has a flexible schedule like me which has allowed me to continue making pottery. He is a fly-fishing guide at Davidson River Outfitters in Pisgah Forest, NC. Just last year we moved to Pisgah Forest to be closer to his work. We have built a new studio here and I am thoroughly enjoying making pots in this beautiful area.

I specialize in pottery that is intended to become an integral part of everyday life. All of my pottery either thrown on a potter's wheel or hand built with slabs of clay that I roll out. The pieces are made to be strong and durable with thick rims and sturdy handles.